The mission of the Tikkun Olam Committee is to realize Temple Beth Am’s core value of tikkun olam by promoting, coordinating, and encouraging vibrant, broad-based social action.
The Tikkun Olam Committee’s efforts include:
- Raising consciousness among congregation members concerning social and political issues.
- Coordinating and infusing Tikkun Olam in our religious school, religious practices, and other programs at Temple Beth Am.
- Offering congregation members a menu of projects and programs for their action and support, including H2R, Knitzvah Knitters, Health Care for All, TBA Family Shelter Program, and the Green Team, and partnering with community organizations (i.e. Lake City Meals for Homeless Individuals, Teen Feed, YWCA Angeline’s Center for Homeless Women, YouthCare Orion Center, Scargo Community Supper, Mary’s Place, TDHS Homeless Shelter).
- Building bridges between different movements of Judaism and between Judaism and different faiths in order to work toward social justice and a greater understanding of the pluralism within our community through our Interfaith Committee and our membership in the Faith Action Network (FAN).
- Working toward the incorporation of tikkun olam values and activities as a religious expression by the Temple Beth Am community.